Remembering Rashid Irani

 


The following account is to the best of my recollection about incidents that occurred almost two decades ago.

It was the latter half of 2003, I was seated in a packed hall at Regal cinema in Mumbai. It had been almost forty-five minutes since we were admitted into the theatre. The audience was getting, understandably, rather impatient as they awaited the feature presentation to commence. Alas, that was not to be, the usher made an announcement requesting us to return back to the lobby.

The exasperated manager informed the patrons who had swarmed into the lobby that the distributors had erroneously dispatched only the film's first half.  The second half was on its way, but it would take at least an hour for the delivery. Hence the show was canceled and a refund would be provided.

The movie was Harrison Ford’s latest action-comedy Hollywood Homicide. The next showing of the film was at around 7pm. 

As I was on my way out I noticed the manager apologizing to an elderly gent for the mess. The man cordially replied that as a film critic he was accustomed to it all. The manager addressed him as 'Rashid' and assured him that the next show would occur as scheduled.

I instantly realized that the gent was the noted film critic Rashid Irani whose film reviews I read every week in The Times. Since there was very little vacant space in the packed lobby he walked by my side in close proximity and at one point we were almost face to face.

Against my usual instincts of extreme shyness, I asked him “Are you Rashid Irani, the film critic for the Times?”

He replied in the affirmative with a smile as we stepped out onto the pavement.

He said that he was irked that the film showing was canceled since he had another appointment at 7pm which he would now have to postpone.

I told him that I always made a point to watch all Harrison Ford’s films on the very first day and if possible the first show and hence was crestfallen. I love to overstate.

He asked if Harrison Ford was an all-time favorite. 

I launched into an unprovoked mini-monologue about why Ford was a great movie superstar and why I was a fan. I even told him about traveling from Pune to Mumbai because I didn’t want to miss a Ford’s Random Hearts. I concluded that Ford was the contemporary Bogart. 

The name ‘Bogart’ caused his face to light up. He inquired how someone of my age, in my mid-twenties back then, knew of Bogart.

I told him I had discovered Humphrey Bogart on Turner Classic Movies, which broadcasted in India during the 90s. It was time for my second self-initiated mini-lecture, this time it was on Bogart. I talked about his films, his on-screen persona, and how his sardonic manner and charm made him inimitable.

He asked me to join him for tea at a nearby restaurant.


                                                     Photo by Sooni Taraporevala.

We talked about the golden era of Hollywood, Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, Cagney, Welles, Hitchcock, Gable, John Huston, Raoul Walsh, and a lot more. I told him that I regretted not being born in that era and hence not being able to watch the classics on the big screen.

He said was immensely fond of Marilyn Monroe and described watching his very first Hollywood film starring Marilyn by accident, he had actually intended to watch a Hindi film. Like most schoolboys, he said he was spellbound by the beauty of Marilyn and the film. Such was the impact that he instantly fell in love with her and the movies, that was a love affair that lasted all his life.

He spoke about watching each and every Hollywood film released at the cinema halls of South Bombay. 

He said Clint Eastwood was one of his favorites, he was particularly fond of the spaghetti westerns by Sergio Leone. He elucidated in detail why he thought The Good, the Bad and the Ugly was a masterful piece of cinema. He also had kind words for the Eastwood-directed Unforgiven.

He encouraged me to look beyond Hollywood and watch films by auteurs such as Ray, Godard, Bergman, Fellini, Rossellini, Rohmer, Renoir, Truffaut, etc. He said their films were often screened at various film clubs free of charge and that it was often advertised in The Times.

He talked about the cinema hall being the equivalent of a pilgrimage for him and how he never left his seat until all the end credits were complete.

He then asked me about my favorite films and film stars and experiences at the cinemas. I spoke about Amitabh Bachchan, Harrison Ford, Bogart, Eastwood, Woody Allen, Roger Moore, and a lot more. I also spoke about my fondness for the film critic Barry Norman's film program on the BBC that was shown during the 90s.

I talked about the Bond movie Moonraker with Roger Moore being the very first film I watched on the big screen and the impact it had on me. I remember disagreeing with him when he said that Moore’s performances as James Bond were inferior to that of Sean Connery’s.  

One often hears of conceited film critics or authorities on subjects being enamored only by the sound of their own voice and set in their views and ideas. Such individuals are usually quick to dismiss those whom they consider inferior in their domain of expertise. This was emphatically not the case with Rashid Irani whose knowledge of cinema was encyclopedic.

Looking back I did prattle along for too long. But he never showed any sign of boredom, he seemed genuinely interested to know my opinions even digging deeper with follow-up questions. 

I also noticed how warmly he was welcomed at the restaurant and how he knew the waiters by their first name. You can tell a great deal about people based on how they treat those who can do nothing for them.

He told me about the restaurant he owned and invited me there. He then scribbled two phone numbers on a piece of paper urging me to keep in touch. 

He complimented me on my knowledge of cinema and urged me to begin writing about movies even if I didn't wish to share my works with anyone. I remember feeling over the moon, that the knowledge I had accumulated over the years, was being appreciated by an individual of eminence.

We both made it back to Regal cinema for the 7pm show, we greeted each other and parted ways.

I do regret not mustering the effort to phone call him later, owing to my nature of extreme reticence. I had convinced myself into thinking that he had shared his numbers out of sheer politeness and that he couldn't possibly want to be in touch with a novice such as me. The other scenario I built in my mind was that if I did call, he probably would not remember who I was and it would be awkward. Looking back I’m certain he would have been kind. It could have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Since he was among the first few to urge me to write, I did think about him when my very first article for Newslaundry was published and even when they published my first film review. I probably should have made an effort to reach out to him or email him.

Since his passing, those who knew him have paid him glowing tributes. The common thread among all the praises was his kindness, his empathy, and his genuine interest in what others have to say, even those with considerably less experience. I can attest to all this based on my brief meeting with the man.

It’s time to celebrate his life and his numerous achievements rather just than mourn his passing. 

I do hope the heavens have a grand cinema hall with a giant screen and an impeccable sound system so that Rashid Irani can regale himself in the magic of the movies for eternity.

 


 

 

 

 

Comments