Why Julian Sands?



For the people of Mumbai, it is almost impossible to set foot anywhere without being confronted by its roiling clamor of chaos.

If there is any place that annihilates the cacophony and the myriad stenches of Mumbai, it is Juhu Beach.

On Juhu Beach, all one can hear is the soothing sounds of waves gently breaking on the sand. The pure sea breeze gently brushes across you and enters your lungs.

On that particular evening, I had made up my mind to cover the entire stretch of the beach, from one edge to another. This meant crossing the most densely populated part where snack stalls are clustered.

The good lady who walked alongside me was also willing. As we made our way through the noise and crowds, a familiar face emerged wearing a Panama hat.

“That’s Julian Sands,” I said instantly with great disbelief.

“What else will you find on the beach but sand” said the lady, the surrounding noises has clearly drowned most of what I said.

“Julian Sands” I repeated.

“What sort of sand is that?” she asked.

“Sands, it is plural. It is a human being. The English actor from films such as A Room with a View and The Killing Fields. Julian Sands” I replied

“Who? Where?” she asked sounding a bit befuddled.

By that time Mr. Sands had disappeared, I looked around and far beyond but he wasn’t to be seen again.

“He must have walked away,” I said with perplexity.

“Let me know if you spot any more English actors, there are ways to treat this condition” she said with a naughty smile.

“I swear I saw him. You have to believe me” I pleaded haplessly.

“I’m not doubting that” she replied as the mischievous smile broadened.

“I know I’m not seeing things.” I implored.

But secretly I wondered if I had indeed hallucinated?

But why Julian Sands? No disrespect to Mr. Sand, he is a fine actor and has a strong screen presence.

But if I had to hallucinate, why not imagine Ursula Andress emerging from the sea singing ‘Underneath the mango tree, Me honey and me can watch for the moon’


Why not Virginie Ledoyen or Sophie Marceau or any other beauty?

WHY JULIAN SAND?

I must take this moment to solemnly swear that I had not consumed any adult beverage in the recent or distant past. I also want to go on record to state that I have never in my life consumed or inhaled or smoked any intoxicants.

But wait, I had gobbled down two doughnuts from a nearby bakery, while the good lady had not. I wonder if the cook had accidentally dropped some hallucinogenic compound in the batter for doughnuts that caused me to imagine Julian Sands. 

Had others who had consumed from the same set of doughnuts also imagined Mr. Sands? 

Did some lucky scoundrel manage to see Ursula?

What was happening to me?

For the next few days, I looked all over the beach, there was plenty of sand, but no Julian Sands.

This comic episode caused the good lady to have some fun at my expense

“Look, I saw Sean Connery at the reception,” she said as we dined as Sun n Sand. He was alive back then.

“Hey, I just saw Hugh Grant devouring a plate of Keema Pav while I was waiting for you,” she said on another at Prithvi CafĂ©.

“Sir Michael Caine just asked me for directions to The Gateway of India, while you were buying your books” she said as I stepped out of Kitab Khanna.

It played along claiming to spot Sir John Gielgud at the NCPA.

“Great! You are not just seeing English actors but dead people as well.” was the response.

Weeks later the curiosity had waned but it still prevailed.

Why Julian Sands?

As the pandemic hit, like most humans the fear of infection consumed me.  The thought of Mr. Sands probably settled itself in some dark corner of my brain.



Around 2 Year Later on 20-August-2021

I happened to watch Sooni Taraporevala's latest film Yeh Ballet, a riveting story of two boys living in one of Mumbai’s shanties who aspire to become world-class ballet dancers. 

The film was shot entirely in Mumbai.

Guess who played the boys’ Israeli dance coach?




 

 





Comments